Back pain, specifically lower back pain, is one of the most common medical problems in the United States. It affects up to 90% of Americans at some point in their lifetime, with more than half of those experiencing multiple episodes.
Back pain runs second only to the common cold when it comes to lost days at work, as well as one of the most common reasons for trips to the doctors’ office or emergency room. Doctors refer to back pain as acute if symptoms have been present for less than a month, chronic if it has been present longer.
The most common causes of back pain are:
- Overwork or injury to muscles, ligaments, and joints.
- Recent trauma resulting from an auto accident, a workplace injury, a fall down the steps, or slipping and landing on the buttocks.
- Pressure on the nerve roots in the spinal canal from herniated discs, joint degeneration (osteoarthritis), or vertebral defects (Spondylolysis)
- Poor posture
- Narrowing of the spinal canal, known as Spinal stenosis. This usually develops with age.
- Scoliosis or other spinal deformities may also be a factor in back pain.
Almost all forms of back pain are treatable through chiropractic and physical therapy treatment. Don't suffer anymore, if you have any back pain, call us today at (904) 269-2437 to schedule your consultation with our chiropractor Dr. Brandon McAlister. For more information about chiropractic and its benefits, please check out the following links: